Saturday, October 18, 2008

My Mentors

My mentor? I have had two mentors to be precise. Both of them were my superiors at my work place. Two entirely different profiled mentors- in terms of their approach to problems, temparaments, communication, thought processes, work dynamics: i could go on. That itself was the biggest learning for me - being associated with two completely different people at work. In terms of learning, i should say that it was probably one of my best learning period in all my career. Every day, there was something new that was round the corner for me to absorb and emulate. Did i see them as role models? Yes, for a large period of time. I looked upto both my mentors in the good times and the not so good times. One of them was one of the finest manager i have come across. He was there to pull me up when things did not go my way and was also there to ensure that good work was always credited to me. When things were grey and black, he used to take responsibility of those blunders of mine without a whimper. Such maturity,grace and openness in ensuring his reportee(me) scaled the career ladder. The other mentor was a perfectionist with loads of temper. Even the tiniest mistake was not acceptable. It was like i were a small kid and would long for appreciation. It would come but with only with perfect work. High standards and high expectations were his basic parameters at work. For ages, i remember i never knew what he thought of my work and he had me guessing until i decided to move on...I learnt grace, maturity, patience, empowerment from one and perfection, raising my performance bar & constant improvement from the other.

I am in touch with both my mentors : at a personal and professional level . It is almost five years that i moved on from a fantastic organization

Hats off to both of them - now and always. They are the people who made me what i am today professionally. Both taught me to dream and both ensured that i chased those dreams! and its only natural that i thank Gopal and Ravi ,my managers in Lister Technologies through this blog:)

No comments:

>